- 1-2 fresh basil sprigs (leaves removed – discard stems)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 4 slices of bacon (pork or turkey)
- 1 red bell peppers
- 1 yellow bell peppers
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1 medium zucchini squash
- 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Himalayan pink sea salt (to taste)
- Preheat a grill pan or regular skillet over medium-high heat.
- Wash and dry the fresh produce.
- Cook bacon and set aside.
- Mince basil leaves and set aside.
- Trim off and discard the root ends of the garlic; peel, mince and set aside.
- Take the garlic and basil (place in bowl, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pepper, and salt – whisk together)
- Trim off and discard the ends of the zucchini; halve the zucchini crosswise, then cut each half lengthwise into 4 to 6 wedges. Add to the bowl with the marinade.
- Quarter the bell peppers lengthwise; remove and discard the stem, seeds, and membranes. Cut each quarter into thirds lengthwise and add to the bowl.
- Trim off and discard the ends of the onion and remove the outer layer; cut lengthwise into ½-inch-thick wedges and add to the bowl.
- Gently toss the vegetables until evenly coated with the marinade.
- Add the marinated vegetables to heated skillet. Cook, tossing occasionally, until they are tender and charred, 5 to 8 minutes. Once done, transfer to a plate.
- Plate the bacon.
- Bon Appetite.
1 Protein Unit
2 Fat Unit
0 Carbohydrate Units
Dr. Shonna Babrow-Goodrich