- 1 avocado
- 1 (15 oz) can organic black beans
- 12 fl oz organic vegetable broth
- ½ small bunch cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 green bell pepper
- ½ lime
- 1 orange
- ½ medium red onion
- black pepper
- crushed red pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Himalayan sea salt
- Wash and dry the fresh produce.
- Quarter the bell pepper lengthwise; remove and discard the stem, seeds, and membranes. Small dice the pepper and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Preheat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Trim off and discard the ends of the onion and remove the outer layer; small dice ½ of the onion (cut into ¼-inch pieces) and add to the bowl with the pepper, then thinly slice the other ½ into quarter-rings and transfer to a small bowl.
- Once the saucepan is hot, add 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the saucepan; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Trim off and discard the root end of the garlic; peel and mince or press the garlic.
- Add the garlic, cumin, and crushed red pepper to the saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 15 to 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and beans (with their liquid) to the saucepan; season with salt and pepper. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, using a knife, shave the cilantro leaves off the stems at a downward angle, working away from your body; discard the stems and finely chop the leaves. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Cut a small piece off both orange ends to reveal the flesh; place the orange on one end and, from top to bottom, slice off the skin and pith. Halve the orange lengthwise, then slice crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-rounds and transfer to a small bowl.
- Halve the avocado lengthwise and twist the halves to separate, then remove the pit with a knife or spoon; thinly slice the flesh crosswise (without piercing the skin) and scoop out.
- Juice the lime into a small bowl (that will be used to make the dressing).
- To the lime juice, add 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper; whisk together.
- Using an immersion (hand) blender, puree the soup until the desired consistently is reached.
- To serve, divide the soup between bowls (1 cup) and garnish with some of the cilantro. Arrange the orange slices, avocado, and remaining onion on plates. Drizzle the salad with the dressing and garnish with the remaining cilantro.
1 Protein Unit
2 Fat Units
1.5 Carbohydrate Units
Dr. Shonna Babrow-Goodrich